RE: getting pinked

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 19:07:14 PST

Hi, Mike,
In answer from a veteran art teacher, yes, lay-offs are cyclical! They are
at the whims of educational movements (back-to-basics), budget crisis's and
now, low school performance scores. I don't want to provoke an argument
about how to survive this periodic major disruption of one's life; I can
only speak to my personal solution.

I got very tired of the insecurity, and as a single woman, I needed SOME
financial security, even if it meant teaching another subject area. I
supplemented my art credentials with authorizations in social studies.
While I was at it, I also got a multiple subjects authorization. Now, at
least, they can't lay me off, but they can make me teach something brand
new.

just my 2 cents worth
-Alix Peshette