Fwd(2): Re: Re: RE: getting pinked

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 17:34:05 PST

Not sure where most of you are located but here in Texas, at
least my district, I have a first. The top teachers from
history and english coming to me on how we can help with our
state TAKS. You see, our new state graduation test has a lot
and I mean a lot of illustrations on it. They want us to help
with students reading the illustrations. I showed the the book,
Reading Pictures, which I use all the time. They were amazed
that art students read, I replied, pictures were here first ,
not words, tee hee. Anyhow, I did warn them that most of our
students still have the attitude that reading pictures is not
what they thought art would be. This is usually the lessons
they fail to turn in or just do. When I send that student to
content mastery to discuss a painting, they usually call me and
set up an after school time, you see, they cant understand it
themselves in content master, tee hee. And art is so easy, if
you believe it is, tee hee. If you dont have the desire to
observe, then _________________, tee hee. I guess by now some
of you may realize that in some areas, we are coming full
circle, we are now needed. At this time I am currently getting
certified in Technology. You see, I am going to do the art
thing by going through the back door, Hope some of you
understand this.

Jackie Brewer (Aust )
Coordinator of Art, BISD
Visual Art, BHS