RE: getting pinked

---------

Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 16:39:50 PST

Dear Patty,
 I do not know how to fix it. Thank you for your note. Due to No Child Left Behind our Superintendent is proposing cuts in the arts, included is PE, Computers, Home Ec ( called FACS) German, Agric. Science, Visual arts, not Spanish, which intrigues me.They want to add another period of reading and math and there is no money for that so they want to cut us to pay for them. Rob Peter to pay Paul. For the first time I can think of we are not sitting down and taking it. All of us whose areas are targeted have met 3 times so far and have drafted letters to our board members with proposals on how they can raise test scores without cutting the arts. We have researched what other schools are doing. There are schools out there, that are not cutting the arts and finding other methods to raise test scores. I called the North Central Evaluation Association and they directed me to a school in our Region, Some of you e-mailed me what your schools are doing. Thank you, Thank you to those of you who did. We are going to the Public this week to inform them and have got the school board to give us a public forum next week.The board votes on whether to accept the Superintendent proposals on April 11th. We do not know if we can sway the board to save our programs or not, but we are trying. Please pray for us and if you have any articles or as Patty said, we need stats that prove the arts are essential in development of a whole child.
Not sitting down and taking it,
Renee

Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech