Re: getting pinked

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 16:32:56 PST

getting pinkedI agree with your statements. One argument the music teachers and I have had is that we don't teach JUST our subjects - we teach all subjects: math, science, geography, social studies, English. When we look at our test scores our students do fine in comprehension. It is application of those skills that they lack. The arts are one of the few subjects that require application. Are the arts important? Well, I pointed out to my administrator that the test scores at the 4th grade level show that knowledge of patterns is extremely high, and it is one concept that I point out on an almost daily basis. I would like to see if those basic concepts have improved on our scores since I began my program.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
  I'm extremely concerned about the cuts. It shows a definite lack of foresightedness and need. The current quest for test scores to meet the demands of federal initiatives is forgetting that the No Child is also a whole child.
  If the teachers of the arts are constantly being eliminated, we will never get beyond advocacy for our programs. I am currently doing a research project on assessment in the arts. I am finding tons of stuff on what we profess to do and why art is important, but little evidence to show that what we say we do actually happens.

---