a plea for auction ideas, please

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 11:08:30 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

Some of you lately have been sharing some wonderful ideas about auction
items you've done in the past successfully (and even unsuccessfully which is
worth hearing too). I am on the Academic and Tech Booster's committee with
several top-notch parents who are really business savvy (I have no clue why
I'm included..duh) but we've STARTED discussions for an auction next fall
which is definitely going to happen.

I like the idea of painted mirror frames which would be easy to set up with
a frame per table and have several classes work on them. The painted chairs
are a good possibility too. My questions to those of you who have attempted
this...what was your process? Sanding? Gesso or primer first? What kind?
Kind of paint used? Sealer? Michal...I love your pictures of this. Where
would you find unfinished frames cheap enough to work on? I know...thrift
stores...but where ELSE?

Could we bounce more ideas around about auctions? I'm so green when it comes
to what will sell or attract parents. My principal mentioned our selling
some of our artwork but she means getting it professionally framed which
costs $$$ and who knows if it'll sell or even if a student WANTS to sell it
and give "us" the moola.

Some good, cheap, smashingly wonderful ideas would be most welcome. Please
help with some ideas we can work on. Thank you. Toodles....Bunki

---