Image of D'Jenne Equestrain figure

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 10:02:56 PST

Dear Art Educators,

In my haste to get a post out the other day, I mistakingly credited the D'Jenne Equestrain figure to the Dogon.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/images/dJenne-eques.jpg
I did have the references correct on my site. I am glad a list meber was kind enough to point out the error in my post. I had the references correct on my site (but had purposely labeled the image dogonequest2 so I knew where I was putting it on my site - I have changed the file name).

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/af-ceramics.htm
See this D'Jenne
Equestrian Figure - Read about the Equestrian figure.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/afimages.htm
The equestrian figure has been an image in art of the Western Sudan for hundreds of years. Terre Cotta figures have been found at the archeological site of d'Jenne. The horse is not native to the region--yet it is said to be a symbol of power. To the Dogon, it represents the first animals off the ark from the heavens in the creation. It is said that the figure may represent Lebe, the ancestral figure who taught the first Dogon how to die. See this terracotta equestrian figure from, d'Jenne, Mali.

Sorry to have created confusion.

Judy

---