Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: HELP! - Question on Visual Literacy

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 18:38:53 PST

--- J+G Grant <> wrote:
Aaaagh! I know that there
> was some discussion on Visual Literacy (my topic,
> with a focus on picture books) on this list a little
> while ago

Any definitive works out there?
> Gina
> Melbourne
> Australia

Paul Duncum is a great writer on visual culture (I'm
getting the idea that we're using Visual Culture and
visual literacy synonomously) and I think he's
Australian. Anyhow, I noticed in my research that
lots of it was coming from Down Under!

A GREAT article is called the Future of Art
Education:Visual Culture and Its Implications. I'm
not sure where I found it.

Another one is Theoretical foundations for an Art
Education of Global Culture and Principles for
Classroom Practice. Hopefully this link is still good

Another online article was Visual Culture Art
Education: My Best View of our Future

Just found more about him
Paul (He's at the U of Tasmania)

He had another article in Art Education -May 2002
"Clarifying Visual Culture in Art Eduacation"

Vivian Komando shared some of her findings (and
provided a great starting point for me!)

Teresa Tipton had also done a lot of research on the
topic, but I haven't heard her voice lately...

This link may be helpful to you. It may also be
frustrating, depending on what you're trying to
accomplish...The bibliography may be helpful.

Sorry, I'm not testing links-my yahoo service is
behaving poorly.

Good Luck - Dawn in Houston

Do you Yahoo!?