Re: HELP! - Question on Visual Literacy

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 18:38:53 PST

--- J+G Grant <jggrant@melbpc.org.au> wrote:
Aaaagh! I know that there
> was some discussion on Visual Literacy (my topic,
> with a focus on picture books) on this list a little
> while ago

Any definitive works out there?

> Gina
> Melbourne
> Australia

Paul Duncum is a great writer on visual culture (I'm
getting the idea that we're using Visual Culture and
visual literacy synonomously) and I think he's
Australian. Anyhow, I noticed in my research that
lots of it was coming from Down Under!

A GREAT article is called the Future of Art
Education:Visual Culture and Its Implications. I'm
not sure where I found it.

Another one is Theoretical foundations for an Art
Education of Global Culture and Principles for
Classroom Practice. Hopefully this link is still good
 http://ijea.asu.edu/v2n3

Another online article was Visual Culture Art
Education: My Best View of our Future
(Maybe)http://www.public.asu.edu/~ifmls/usseafolder/back.html

Just found more about him
Paul Duncum@utas.edu.au (He's at the U of Tasmania)

He had another article in Art Education -May 2002
"Clarifying Visual Culture in Art Eduacation"

Vivian Komando shared some of her findings (and
provided a great starting point for me!)
www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Jun01/0418.html

Teresa Tipton had also done a lot of research on the
topic, but I haven't heard her voice lately...

This link may be helpful to you. It may also be
frustrating, depending on what you're trying to
accomplish...The bibliography may be helpful.
http://nmaa-ryder.si.edu/journal/v12n1/v12n1homer.html

Sorry, I'm not testing links-my yahoo service is
behaving poorly.

Good Luck - Dawn in Houston