Tooting my own horn!

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 17:45:40 PST

Middle school and high school have always done this, but I tried sketchbooks
with my elementary for the first time this year (grades 3-6). They were
spiral bound for cost efficiency, covers were colored paper and coded to
classes. They wrote down all vocabulary words and facts about artists we
studied. There was blank paper in the back for drawing. Now this isn't
anything unique to you guys, but I also had 2 different graphic organizers
and 2 different problem solving sheets (I wasn't exactly sure which ones
would work best). Well, our NCA visit is in 2 weeks and we had our mock
visit. In every strategy the words "across the curriculum" appeared - and
our visiting team member wanted to know what other disciplines were doing.
Social studies, science, music, technology, physical education, etc etc
(everyone BUT math and English) stuttered, hemmed, and hawed. Finally I
asked if my sketchbooks counted (I knew they did, but I didn't want to
gloat). The team member looked at them and asked if she could borrow them to
share with 2 other schools. Naturally this caught the attention of both of
my principals! Small victory, but I was able to prove that I was doing what
all the teachers knew they should be doing! :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

---