Re: A question about those famous pantyhose sculptures...

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 17:31:49 PST

I just finished this project so I'm not an expert, but here goes. :-)

> 1. What do you do with the excess, loose hosiery fabric at the base of
the
> sculpture?
The students cut felt the same dimensions as their base and we hot glued it
on.

> 2. What are some ideas you have used for embellishment or really pushing
the
> limits of the project?
I had glitter, confetti stars (I'm prom sponsor), feathers, pipe cleaner,
and jewels. I left it totally open to see what would happen.

> 3. Have any of your students used other types of wire to get a taller
> sculpture? Or, have they used two coat hangers side by side on the same
> block of wood?
Not this time - I gave them a hanger, a hose, and a block and I don't think
they even thought they could do anything else, although I didn't tell them
one way or the other.

> 4. I also remember the instructions said to make the holes for the wire
ends
> with nails. I used a drill and then added a drop of hot glue. That
seemed
> to work. Any reason why the nail method might be better?
I used a drill and put the holes in prior to the assignment. I just had a
big box full and students reached in and picked one. I used a fairly small
drill bit, and students stripped the plastic ends off their hangers and
pushed them in. They fit pretty snug so we didn't even use glue, and they
are solid.

~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids