MORE BATIK

---------

From: artzyal (artzyal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 16:03:41 PST

Subject: Re: Batik
Date: Sat, Dec 8, 2001, 8:15 PM
 I used Gulf wax, crayon melters, bleached muslim (a 10" square per
student) and cheap brushes that we threw away at the end of class.
the crayon melters were donated to me by Kindergarten, but you should
be able to order them.I had the kids draw their picture with perm
marker and lay it under their cloth while they were applying the
clear wax. We painted with watercolors. Then I ironed between two
sheets of newspaper. You can iron while the paint is wet. Helps to
dry faster. Our theme was a Special Memory. The squares were used
for a class quilt..
  I've done the flour paste resist, but I didn't like the results.
It's cooked the night before then drawn on with a bottle. I found
the paint (we used watercolors) tended to seep under the flour around
the edges. I've used wax resist twice with third grade and it turned
out fine. Janet
 ----------
 From: "BRIAN MARTIN" <sages7@msn.com>
 I have done the aloe vera lotion and toothpaste method many times. It
works great! Just make sure you let the paste dry totally before
painting the color on and I usually let my paint dry overnight before
rinsing the resist off in cool water. We have painted it on with
liner brushes, stamped it on and squirted it on with squeeze bottles
w/fine tips. Heather:)
 ----------
From: Judie <judiej50@mindspring.com>
 Reaching back in the deep recesses of my brain---a long journey--in
the days when I did batik, there was a rice paste (I think) resist
that was used in traditional Japanese batiks. You might research
Japanese or Asian art supplies and find something there. There used
to be a fabulous Japanese art supply store in Chicago, just can't
remember the name of it.

Another project I've done with fabulous results is have students draw
their images on colored paper (something with a tooth like
construction paper, charcoal paper or pastel paper). Then go over the
lines with Elmer's glue. When dry, color in the shapes using colored
chalk or pastels. Must spray with a fixative. Wonderful results.
Judie
 ----------
From: gregjuli@execpc.com
 I've never cooked my flour paste. There can be seepage if not enough
paste is applied--thick lines work better than the thin. I'll post
the receipe on Monday when I look it up at school. > MaryB
 ----------
From: Yvette Lewis <yvlewis@attglobal.net>
 There is a crayon resist method and an ink/ tempra batik technique
that I have use both with 7th graders, and high school The ink method
can be very effective.
First a drawing is completed, for example a face, in a contour line.
The lines can be out lined with a thick marker or even charcoal.
Tempra paint is used to fill in between the lines leaving the lines
exposed. Use the paint rather thick. When it is completely dry, brush
the whole paper with black india ink. When the ink is completely dry
a soft brush can be used to gently wash off the ink. I have had the
students work by the sink under the faucet but pans of water could
also be used. How much ink is washed off is at the descretion of the
student.
 Some problems I have encountered had to do with not waiting until
everything was absolutely dry, the quality of the tempra and studnets
scrubbing to hard without looking at the paintin and deciding when to
stop. I have also used other colors of ink, like blue and orange.
Yvette in NY
 ----------
From: gregjuli@execpc.com
The flour batik uses flour water and alum. I have the measurements at
school.If anyone needs them let me know. I used those mustard and
ketchup squeeze bottles I bought for 25 cents a piece at a dollar
store to squeeze on the paste. I kids really get in to it and pulling
off the dried paste > Mary B
 ----------
From: "Susan Holland" <Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu> There
are other resists you could use besides hot wax. I don't have
personal experience with this, but my text books say you can mix equal
parts of an "aloe based hand lotion" with tooth paste. You allow
this to dry completely before dying, and the have kids apply tempera
(choosing colors that tend to stain, like violet) with brushes and
then rinse the cloth to remove the resist. I've also read about a
flour paste resist, but can't put my finger on it at the moment. I
have done crayon batik, having kids color hard with white crayons
ironing the fabric lightly and then dying,
 ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
From: "Diane Beilby" <dibeilby@mindspring.com>
 Subject: Re: batik???? Date: Sat, Jul 7, 2001, 11:05 PM
 Maria, (From: marie betlyon <mailto:mariebetlyon@hotmail.com>"recipe"
for toothpaste-moiturizer batik? ) I have done this ~ combine
equal amounts of cheapest toothpaste and aloe lotion or gel apply
with brushes, or toothpicks or use flour and water mix let dry and
crackle by wadding up fabric with care paint over with tempera or
acrylic paints ~ let dry or partially dry ~ wash leaving only a stain
from paint or a solid paint if acrylic is let to dry completely
Diane

directions for a paste batik:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons of alum
 (somewhere I read that the alum used for papermaking is
  a better choice than the grocery store variety)
The recipe can be doubled or tripled. The paste should be
mixed until there are no lumps; a blender is useful for mixing.
Use 100% bleached or unbleached muslin that has NOT been
laundered or treated with perma-press. Tape the muslin to
a piece of corrugated cardboard. Put the paste in squeeze bottles,
apply, and leave to dry overnight.
Use paste food colors or watercolors to paint the areas between
the applied paste; mix deep, rich hues as the colors will dry
lighter than they appear to be when wet.
After the fabric is dry, chip or rub the paste off with fingers,
trim and iron fabric, and mount.
Project can be related to African adire eleke resist process, or
Japanese dye process called Sarasa.
(I haven't tried this yet, so cannot verify its success!)