dressing for an interview

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 08:51:58 PST

I have another take on this....I agree that first impressions are
important...critical in fact......but there needs to be a balance between
personality and dress. How I dress effects how I am feeling about myself
and how I behave. I have dressed in a suit...(or a skirt and blazer look)
and felt totally out of my element and behaved that way...uncomfortable and
insecure....rather than competent and self assured. On the other hand...I
have to be careful because I am very outgoing and assertive...and I want to
tone that down visually (and in behavior ...but that is harder)
..... So. I think it is important for what you wear to be comfortable to
you....and to visually reflect those qualities that will balance (temper)
your personality at the interview. I try to give people the impression of
how I want to come across...those aspects of me that I want them to
see. For me...I wear a skirt (usually long) and top...I wear some
color...but not too loud or too much...and I keep the eccentric art teacher
look at home. I shoot for what I would describe as a soft or
conservative...quiet, elegant, arty look. I try to honestly reflect who I
am....after all I want to be accepted as that later....to reveal that I am
in the arts....while at the same time not looking extreme or
unkept. Showing my individuality and uniqueness and looking like a team
player and someone who is professional... is critical to me. It leaves me
comfortable enough to focus on participating in the interview. For me,
being comfortable is as important as what you wear. I just don't
interview well if I am uncomfortable in my skin. I really want to be
hired for who I am....but I know I need to dress in a way that those in the
interview don't get distracted by what I am wearing and never get past
that. So it is up to me to figure out how make that happen. As visual
people...we can do that. Yup...it is a very fine balance...and not always
that easy. Good luck Maggie. lia