Re: If you were starting an Elementary art program from scratch... where would you begin ?

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 06:53:55 PST

Hi Gina,
   To add to Michal's excellent ideas, I would keep in mind to do at least
one experience with the students in these following areas, where you can
tie in the elements and principles of art, art history cultures and artists,
etc.:

Drawing
Painting
Printmaking
Fibers, ie weaving, stitching, batik, quilts, etc
3-D, ie relief, in-the-round, including ceramics, repoussé, jewelry, found
objects, 3-D compounds like papier mâché, pariscraft, etc.
Commercial design, ie study of letter forms, advertising design, art in
the home, etc.
Hand made books
Mixed media
Architecture and interior design
Technologically produced images
Careers in art
Science, math, music, etc. in art
Talking and writing about art

Any more ideas from the list?

           Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
           Art teacher, K-5, retired

I started my program 9 years ago in a school that didn't have art before I
came. I did start with the basics, and really focused on line, shape, and
color. I introduced some artists but didn't really focus on cultures.

---