RE: If you were starting an Elementary art program from scratch... wherewould you begin ?

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 05:07:35 PST

Art history in my classroom is covered two ways: I name my tables after
artists - have their work hanging all year. Whenever we discuss
techniques or new concepts we use those artists in our discussion. The
artists are picked (by me) for their variety of art styles, ethnic
groups, etc. Furthermore, I try to pick big names they should know.
This year my tables are Kandinsky, Rembrandt, Kahlo, Ringgold and Homer.
Last year they were Cassatt, O'Keeffe, Rousseau, Hokusai and da Vinci.
When the students are studying something related in their classrooms, I
try to tie things in even more. (4th grade will be studying Civil War,
and somehow I'll be sure to tie in W. Homer.)

Jan