Re: If you were starting an Elementary art program from scratch... where would you begin ?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 04:43:39 PST

I started my program 9 years ago in a school that didn't have art before I came. I did start with the basics, and really focused on line, shape, and color. I introduced some artists but didn't really focus on cultures. I tried to make sure they had a solid understanding of these things, knowing that you cannot teach your 5th graders 5 years of art in one year. I just did the best I could, and kept building my program every year. Now, 9 years later I can stand in front of my classroom and tell which students I have had every year, and which students moved in and missed instruction at age X.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  Hi All,
   New discussion item, imagine you are going into a school to teach elementary art.
  You can write your own curriculum, but here's the rub.
   You have grades 1-5. In your first year what do you cover ??
   Do you try to catch up all grades and do the basics ??
  How do you start Art History ?
  What cultures do you feel are a must to include ??

  Every art teacher has their own take on this...
  I'm feeling a need to revamp, reorganize and regroup.

  Let the discussion begin !
  Thanks for being here, all those who discuss and contribute, and lurk :)
  Christine Besack :)

  ps... anyone doing Crizmac tour this Summer, I'm debating the Arizona one :)

  ---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---