Re: HELP! - Question on Visual Literacy

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 04:03:09 PST

gina,
i highly recommend "Understanding Comics: the Invisible Art" by Scott McCloud. i think this book will give you a refreshing perspective on your topic. also, it is not "just about comics..." its a great presentation of word/picture relationships, images that tell stories, historic accounts --- check it out! plus, its a blast to read!

:D wendy
 J+G Grant <jggrant@melbpc.org.au> wrote:Okay, I'm a fool - I have begun my Post-Grad and they have sprung on us that our paper will be a seminar delivered to the Art Educators conference we will be having in May. Aaaagh! I know that there was some discussion on Visual Literacy (my topic, with a focus on picture books) on this list a little while ago, but I can't find it (I put it down to nerves rather than lack of ability - and I'll stick to that story!). Can anyone help me with this? Also if anyone has some interesting way of presenting this (not the - this is the picture book and here is how you make a character from it - approach) I would appreciate it. Any definitive works out there?

Gina
Melbourne
Australia