Re: giclee prints

---------

From: Carolyn Keigley (carolyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 19:19:08 PST

I would have to agree that giclee prints are indeed just a reproduction,
much like the so called silkscreen prints that are sold in galleries, but
not really printed by the artist, nor by the traditional fine art method of
hand silkscreens. However, the giclee prints are high quality and the
process allows art into homes where the income of many can't afford the
original piece.
When I sell my prints I educate my customers as to the difference in prints
made by computers and those made by hand -silkscreen, wood cut etc. The
customers almost always doesn't care. They want the image and a good
quality one at that. They wish they could buy the original drawing but they
go away happy with the giclee print. By the way if any of you need a good
printer I found Coleman Studios in Orem, Utah to be superior.
Carolyn in Tahoe - also at my web site www.4snowart.com

P.S. I love the info from everyone. And thank you Judy Decker. I had to
create a mail box just for Judy's info.

At 12:05 PM 3/12/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>It is a very high quality inkjet print. Nothing more. Essentially exactly the
>same thing as an iris print. At framing marked they told us Giclee means "to
>spurt".
>
>Iris prints allow artists who make and sell reproductions do so without as
>large an up-front inventment. They can be produced as the demand requires, so
>the artists or publishers don't get saddled with thousands of dollars in
>unsold inventory in "prints".
>They are expensive to produce, and therefore the price is passed on.
>
>Except for artists who produce their work on the computer itself, it is no
>more an original than any other publishing media.
>

>---

---