Roman Mosaics and temple frames - images online

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 07:07:12 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am still plugging away at getting my lesson plans updated. I really
appreciate the feedback from folks who think/know they will use them. I
never used my plans -- but had to write them up to turn in. The last two
years I put all of them online and only turned in URLs.

6th Grade Roman mosaics - ceramic and paper
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6mosaic.htm
Endangered animals/Rain forests was the theme although I let them do any
animal they wanted - I even had some pet gerbils and hamsters. You could
adapt this lesson to younger grades making the paper pieces a little bigger.

6th Grade Greek/Roman temple frames (I included a card board relief as an
alternate)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6frame.htm
I have used these for a number of different projects. Each trimester, I had
6th graders and 7th graders make a frame for one of their projects.
Unfortunately, I don't have images of many of them. As I update, I will try
to include the instructions for the frames we made. The high school teacher
had her students make clay frames after she saw mine in the art show.

You may have noticed the Mimbres prints had a digital frame - I had several
Native American designs (I created the files) - students chose the one they
wanted and printed on 13x19 tagboard --cut out the opening with x-acto
knives - one year, they double matted using a coordinating color of
construction paper with circle cut out for inner mat.:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6Mimbres.htm

African prints were framed with Dogon mud cloth (scanned into the computer):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/images/prVeronicaG.jpg
Strips were glued to card board with gloss medium for larger prints -
smaller ones were printed onto tag board and openings cut out. The mudcloth
was from my collection -- but you can find plenty of examples on the
Internet.

I will get around to putting the instructions on my plans.....

---