African Ceramics Lessons online - and images

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 21:55:56 PST

I updated my African Ceramics lessons that I have online (added images to
the plans and corrected links).

I made a page on African Ceramics that I had saved in my files - thought you
could use them as reference with your students. I don't have the web sites
where I found them. Page may take a while to load.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/af-ceramics.htm

This is my portrait vessel lesson - although the last two years I used it
only a couple made portrait vessels.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8afr-pot.htm
I put notes on the plan how I used it with 6th grade and how you could use
it with high school (it was actually one of my high school advanced ceramic
students that got me interested in African ceramics).

7th grade printmaking with ceramic box (plate impression on lid)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/7africa.htm
This was animal abstraction - and lesson in textures. One year, many
students made foil tooling to put on their lid (tooling is a Nigerian
craft).

I have one more lesson plan on African inspired ceramics -- but don't have
it written up. It was inspired by the family grouping terracottas from
Nigeria. Students made a lidded bowl (clay pressend into Cool whip dishes
for bowl) - with rounded lid (made over a newspaper hump). They placed
figures/animals on the lid to represent their family. Some students glazed
them - some did the brown wood-look patina. Others painted them black and
embellished with oil pastels and puffy paints (looked like beaded vessels).

If you are interested - I found an image of mimbre bowl and print together
from my sixth grade lesson and added that to my onine plan:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6Mimbres.htm
That student chose not to do the black undeglaze stain (that was optional)

---