Re: What about ART fees?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 18:41:02 PST

Yes, at first glance that 15 minutes per day seems like it will equal to
only 1 hour. But there is more to consider than just that. These are actual
contact hours - how many minutes per day do you lose with the students on a
5 day week. We started school 2 weeks later than all schools around us, but
have the same vacations and will get out the same day due to adding 15
minutes to our current schedule. It does add up. We will not have the
traditional holidays that we now add in - MLK day, Good Friday, etc. If
there is a holiday that week you just change the day off. Out of our current
36 week school year we already have 11 scheduled 4 day weeks. Our school
counts hours and not days, so this may make a difference as well.

As for cuts, we are looking at it as if it is a bullseye. The students are
in the center ring, teachers next, then administrators and secretarial, then
food service, then transportation, utilities, etc. If you need to make cuts,
you should make them as far away from the students as possible. Typically,
schools look to make cuts first with teachers and classroom budgets. This is
wrong. Our custodial staff would be able to do maintence, as would bus
drivers if they so chose to get in extra hours. The support staff can work
with students as tutors or paras. They can clean their own areas (boy, I
would if they paid me - my room hardly ever gets mopped!). The savings come
from gas, utilities, wear and tear on equipment. We did our research and for
a 1A school like ours we can save over $80,000. You had the same attitude
that many of our support staff had (and who can blame them!), but they are
100% behind this as well, once they were shown that we weren't supporting
cutting their hours - just realigning their duties.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> I'm not a math whiz but how will adding a total of one hour per week make
up
> for a lost day?
> Additionally what about those poor underpaid custodians and cafeteria
workers
> who have the burden of working a day less for even less pay?
>
> I'm sure there's more to it than meets the eye here but I hate to see the
> budget balanced on the backs of the people lowest on the totem pole.
> On the other hand I hate to see teachers losing jobs as well-

---