Re: What about ART fees?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 17:30:54 PST

I am shaking my head in amazement at the thought that someone somewhere
actually thinks this is a good idea! Kansas is considering cutting our 204
(?) superintendents to 40 (or thereabouts). My own school board considered
cutting one administration position (we have 1 super, 2 principals), but the
teachers asked them to research first. They discovered this probably wasn't
such a hot idea. Meanwhile the teachers researched and discovered that going
to a 4 day week, while only adding 15 minutes to our current school day,
would save us basically 1/5 of our transportation, food service, and
custodial costs while not affecting test scores. Guess what - we suddenly
have LOTS of money and don't need to look at this. Considering my own hours
got cut last year (I sued, I won), teachers didn't get a raise, and our
classroom budgets got cut. The teachers are wondering why they wanted to cut
administrators IF we don't have a money crunch.

Course things are the same all over. Hubby works at the maximum security
correctional facility. They are often asked for their input on saving money.
There are two perimeter cars that drive around the facility 24/7. One guy
actually convinced the big decision makers that they could save 1/2 the wear
and tear on the cars IF the cars only drive 1/2 way around the facility and
then turn around and redo that 1/2. Yup, the prison is now saving big bucks
on those two cars! *L* Sad, sad, sad.

Anyways, good luck with your situation Larry - hope things work out.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> As for other nearby districts, we are struggling here in the northwoods.
> Compared to our larger districts, we have less votes to get candidates
into
> office at the state level thus as rural are not given as much
consideration.
> Some legislators hope schools in the northwoods fold, and are forced to go
> virtual. One struggling district just started a virtual option. The
> government provides a family a computer to go online...and the district
> provides virtual education with a real teaching contacting perhaps once
> every 1-2 weeks. No doubt by email. This allows the struggling smaller
> district to recruit students from all over the state and gain their state
> student monies. The open enrollment strategy.

> If some schools fold, students might find a 2-1/2 hour morning bus ride.
> Five stinkin' hours per day of bus travel to go back and forth to schools
> yet open.

---