Re: What about ART fees?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 04:57:06 PST

> Is there a precedence in your school? Shop class, music class,
> computer lab, and building construction all have fees in my school.
> Also, are there any schools in your area that charge them? I had to go
> before the school board in order to charge fees.
> ~*~Michal~*~

There was never a precedent before to cut $300,000 from our district's
budget before, so I don't know. We have 39 teachers/staff in the district.
So, with layoffs no doubt coming...the board might be open to hear things
they might not have considered before.

As for other nearby districts, we are struggling here in the northwoods.
Compared to our larger districts, we have less votes to get candidates into
office at the state level thus as rural are not given as much consideration.
Some legislators hope schools in the northwoods fold, and are forced to go
virtual. One struggling district just started a virtual option. The
government provides a family a computer to go online...and the district
provides virtual education with a real teaching contacting perhaps once
every 1-2 weeks. No doubt by email. This allows the struggling smaller
district to recruit students from all over the state and gain their state
student monies. The open enrollment strategy.

If some schools fold, students might find a 2-1/2 hour morning bus ride.
Five stinkin' hours per day of bus travel to go back and forth to schools
yet open.

So...things might be an open consideration for what never was in the past.

I've been reading all the posts on this subject with interest, taking
notes...thanks everyone.

Larry Seiler
My website, featuring both my artistic and musical personalities-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
Edgar Degas

---