Animals in Art lessons- Effigy- mimbres- Africa

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 21:46:19 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I got images on three more lessons -- and updated the instructions to make
them easier to understand (I hope). I never looked at plans when I
taught ---but always had to turn in a plan book that no one read
(hmmm....sound familiar?). Maybe there is one person out there that could
use these plans now:

Effigy ceramics (I did this with 6th grade - you could use this plan for
grades 3 thru 12) --This was my empty bowl project. I borrowed much of the
plan from a college web site.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6effigy.htm
One bowl (an easy one) was made to donate and the effigy was made to keep.

As a follow- up, students made mimbres inspired prints:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6Mimbres.htm
Some years, we made bowls from the printing plate (and carved the designs
more)
Most students did designs with animals that represented their family
members - sorry I don't

We used this Internet Lesson (this lesson has been updated):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/swest.htm
I never expected students to see every site listed. Some looked at the
lesson more at home.

Here is my sixth grade unit plan for abstraction/African Art
Paper weaving integrating technology and abstract sculpture.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6africa.htm
This one is pretty detailed because it was done for a grad class.
Students made a sculpture from the design they created in their weaving.

The Afrcan Art Internet Lesson was my research project:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/afr-less.htm

I will get the 7th grade African art lesson ready to share tomorrow.

Send me your animals in art (science integration) and math and art lessons
to post to Incredible Art Department. I would like to link lessons from the
feature page for next mont.

Judy Decker

---