Re: What about ART fees

---------

From: Fergusons (4fergs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 16:22:59 PST

I have a $3.00 fee for the 7 week 7th grade cycle class and a $10.00 fee for
the semester 8th grade class. I do have to spend it on consumables. I tell
the kids everything you take home, i have bought with the art fee money (not
really true) SO if you want to take it home, you must pay the fee. This
works great when the timing is right ---like a clay project. Also---I never
let a kid off the hook. I know some kids really dont have the money but they
do have pride. I pull them aside and ask them if they would like to help me
out in the art room a couple of study halls --then I would call the art fee
money even. like I am hiring them. They love it, it gives them a chance to
keep their pride. This also works the other way--when kids that have money
want to "borrow" a sheet of paper for a project in another class - I say
sure- I'll barter your services-- I need all my tables and counter tops
washed. They then ask how much they can pay me and I refuse the money-- I
want cleaning done. It works---They leave the room WITHOUT the sheet of
paper....heehhee I really dont give anything out...my stuff is for the art
room only. I dont even share with teachers... I make them trade me something
heehhee again - its funny to see how desperate they are. Although I do have
my friends....they get what they want, but it works both ways.

Connie Ferguson
Art Teacher
Monroe District Art Department Chairman
Monroe Middle School