Animals in Art - Tessellation and Gargoyles lesson plans

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 12:16:06 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am focusing now on getting images on some of my lesson plans that are
online (unfortunately, I don't have access to many of my disks)

Here is a lesson I did on Tessellation (Woody will recognize it is word for
word his plan with my additional notes):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6tessell.htm
This was done as interdisciplinary with math and social studies. I have
included some of our finished work -- the step-by-step images are from
Woody's class.
I have briefly included our Jim McNeill style tessellations that students
did while the stragglers were finishing coloring. I always had something
going on for students who finish early.

Our follow-up lesson was gargoyle boxes:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/6gargoyl.htm
This lesson could be adapted for fourth/fifth grade (or even third as you
can see from Linda Wood's student work) and scaled up for high school. I had
a student make a really neat castle box one year (as an assignment for a
ceramic house relating to a period in art or an artist) with gargoyles
attached. The high school project was 6"x6"x12" using stiff slab
construction.

I hope someone out there is able to use these plans. Feel free to copy and
edit.... I really like coming up with the ideas...I really hated writing
them down into plan form.

Judy Decker

---