Re: Fundraiser idea for little time investment

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 09:48:01 PST

Robert just jarred my memory....

One year I sold my time....I offered private lessons (just two one hour
sessions). If I had known how popular the idea was I would have offered
more. I really don't remember now much it brought in but my personal
investment was only two hours of my time. I got permission ahead of time to
use materials I had on hand for the classroom (and of course that was not a
problem since the school was going to benefit). I had three ideas ready to
go (from past projects I had done at a local resource center and other
teaching positions). I let the student choose from those ideas -- all
sculptural projects that I knew could be completed in the two hour block of
time. She chose a fanciful animal using plaster addition (gauze strips over
wire and aluminum foil armature) -- finished with tissue paper applied with
Mod-podge.
The sessions were held after school. The first hour one week was armature
forming and plaster addition - the next week was an hour session to apply
the tissue paper and surface designs - and mount. I had scrap wood for a
base (that was spray painted black)

From Robert:

> I couldn't help adding my own story to this issue-
> I once donated a beautiful silver pin I made to a silent auction
fundraiser
> ....... the piece went for thirty-six dollars!

---