Re: Texture ideas for high school and middle school

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 07:01:20 PST

Hi Myriam,

For middle school and high school, we really got into textures in clay. I had lace textures, kitchen gadgets, stamps (a variety of different pattern sets), metal letter printing blocks, texture rolling pins.....and the list goes on.

For a 2-D project, I really like Ken Schwab's Cubism project....You can use newspapers, textured wall papers, maybe even lace doilies and fabric scraps. Maybe borrow some old musical instruments from the band?
http://www28.brinkster.com/leighart/cubism.html
http://www28.brinkster.com/leighart/lpa3cubism.html (lesson plan)

A project I did with high school (and 8th grade) was collagraph prints. We used all sorts of textures....potato sacks, burlap, various fabrics (some fine woven - some more loosely woven -- corduroy...etc), sand papers, wallpaper, string, doilies.....on an on....Gesso the plate to seal. But you would have to have a printing press for best results in printing. Ken Schwab did some prints inspired by Japanese Kimonos that were just stunning.

Judy Decker