RE: Fundraiser bust.

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 05:53:48 PST

Jan --
we just had our auction this past weekend - every year I offer to help
classes with their items... some years they go for quite a lot -
one year I spent so much of my time on the items and they went for almost
nothing (a friend created some steel sculptures from kids drawing of
flowers, and a class painted Oaxacan style - lots of time and money donated
- went for a couple of hundred dollars - and same with the table he made -
and a class mosaic-ed) - and then other lame (my opinion) things went for
much more... boy was I shattered that year -

I did notice this year - that the 9 items I helped work on - the ones where
I had a parent contact for gathering supplies, maybe helping - did better.
Our Eric Carle collage on canvass went for $600, a simple handmade tile
plant stand (from an old aquarium stand) went for over $300....

So maybe enlist some parent help - or contacts... then they are more aware
of what is going on, and have some ownership in it.... that's what starts
the bidding war -

Now the problem is - monitoring parent involvement - the highest selling
class item this year was a large canvas patio umbrella that a parent worked
on with the class (wink, wink) - not a stitch of kid work on it - but it
went for $700 -

If you want a list of the things I worked on this year - let me know - all
were based on activities or lessons in the classroom - so they were
extensions, rather than something extra to do -

I like your headboard idea -

Ellen

> So, ideas for next year ? SHould I continue to stick my head out on a
> limb and do something different or.... do a project like everybody else?

---