RE: What about ART fees?

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 09:32:17 PST

Hi Larry,
Interesting that you should be asking. We will be discussing this at our
Secondary Articulation meeting on Tuesday. In my 7-9 Junior High, right
now, I charge $10 for a semester Computer Class and $5 for a quarter
Computer Arts class. This pays for printer cartridges, photo quality paper,
brochure paper, and the CD-ROM's that I give each kid as their exit
portfolio. The art department has a similar fee structure, except for Art
Ceramics, which I can't remember, but think it's $25.

With a new principal who enforces the 'letter of the law' it is becoming
stickier about spending lab fee money on 'non-consumables.'

I offer 10 points of extra credit to kids who pay their lab fee on time.
Actually, if they pay it at all, whenever, I give them extra credit. I just
make a big deal out of the On Time aspect so that the money comes in at once
for my book-keeping purposes. For kids that can't pay, I just have them
tell me that privately and I excuse them. My school has a "Helping Hands"
fund for kids who can't afford field trip fees and lab fees. I've never
bothered to tap into that to recover art fees.

Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA