Re: What about ART fees?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 07:41:57 PST

I researched what area schools charged, then wrote a proposal asking our
school board to adopt fees for my high school class. I was charging $10 per
semester, but they raised it last year to $15. (Course they don't truly go
after those who don't pay). I was able to justify fees for high school
because my class is an elective and there are a high amount of consumables
used by these students due to their age and the nature of their projects. It
gives me an extra $600 or so a year (should be double that, but as I said
above, we only charge those who want to pay). I am only allowed to purchase
consumables from this budget, and it is never touched the way classroom
budgets are (I got a 10% cut last year, and will remain at this budget for
probably 2-3 more years).

We are in a similar situation as far as budget/school size/etc. Our board
was considering going from a superintendant and 2 principals to 1
super/principal and 1 prinicipal. Our union asked the board to research
before dong this, and they discovered that not one school who had done this
was happy with the results. While the board was doing this our teachers
researched going to a 4 day week and found not one school who did this had
any negative feelings towards it, and the savings were substantial.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Curious, with our district facing a $300,000 budget cut for this next
year,
> talk of layoffs and so on...I'm curious what your experiences are with art
> fees. Especially from those that perhaps initiated it, thus the students
> and community having no prior recollection of having had such. No doubt
my
> supply budget is going to be dealt a healthy punch.
>
> How much are your fees, and collected when? What kind of problems if any,
> or flack did you get at first?
> thanks,

---