Middle school discipline problem

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 17:10:22 PST

I have a bucket of the most ugliest used pencils, you have ever seen,
but they all have a point. If the say they need to get up to sharpen
their pencil. I save them time by giving one of mind in exchange for
the one they are using, because they are not allowed up during art. I
have tough 8th and 7th grade classes. I also remind them that I have a
curriculum to teach just like any other teacher, fortunately for me this
curriculum allows for great leaway based on how individual classes act,
I can teach elements and principles by way of paint, clay, and other
interesting matterials or the class can choose by their actions to be
taught the same elements and principles by way of pencil and paper. I
always tell them I rather teach with a variety of materials, but they
have freedom of choose and they vote by their actions.

I have notice that in the last month my 8th grade classes have been
especially stressed, because their 8th grade testing is coming and they
are required to stay after school and their math and english classes
have been all prep for this test. The students and their teachers are
wound as about as tight and you can get them. I looking for a soothing
warm blanket of an art project for the next two weeks during testing for
these over stressed babies.
Ellen Silverman

---