Re: new art on our website

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 15:00:21 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: dawn stien <dawnstien@yahoo.com>
> I was just looking at your white on black pencil
> drawings. Do you have them bring in images or do you
> have them available?

> Does it make a difference if you have black and white
> images to start with or do color images work just as
> well?

I've collected 100's of pictures and laminated them onto tagboard so they
last forever. I'm always adding to the 5 boxes I've accumulated (probably 5
years worth). Doesn't seem to be a problem using color over B&W. It would
for ME but the kids don't complain about it (or even mention it) so it's not
been a problem either way.

I wouldn't TRY to do scratchboard until they have done this B&W drawing. It
usually take an unsuccessful attempt to understand the concept of JUST
getting highlights with your white pencil...they generally want to outline
everything in white at first try. This preparatory drawing saves on a TON of
scratchboard being wasted first.

> I'm trying figure out a sequence of lessons that will
> go from white on black to seeing lights in a still
> life to creating more successful scratch art...Maybe a
> little ambitious, I know.

Another good B&W lesson are the Sacred Circles...first presented by Sharon
K. on our listserv. Check out her website. I also did her lesson and you can
find OUR Sacred Circles on our website. Good usage of B&W values with white
pencil on black plus a good preparatory lesson on values alone using hand
pressure. Toodles....Bunki

---