Re: Michaelangelo - elementary

---------

From: jlb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 09:22:13 PST

> Now, I want to make the connection to Michaelangelo and his fresco
> painting . I read somewhere about a lesson where the children painted
> on paper secured under their desks -- like Michaelangelo did when
> painting his ceiling. Have any of you tried this? Is it something you
> think that I can do with 2nd graders?

Yes, I've done this at almost all grade levels.
Be sure to have the kids cover their clothes and instruct them not to paint
directly above their faces. You may want to cover the floor too. I had them
work in groups or pairs.
No matter whether I used acrylic, tempera or watercolor the kids had a ball.
Lots of laughing and silliness, but they learned a lot about the process.
I also had an excellent video about Michaelangelo to introduce this lesson.
In HS, we painted on wallboard chunks soaked till the paper came loose and
scraped it off. The results really got the fresco idea over well. The kids
loved it.
Hope this helps,
Gelato

---