Michaelangelo - elementary

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 19:40:06 PST

Second graders have been doing fresco painting. I introduced them to
Fra Angelico after their study of illuminated letters/manuscripts. They
first drew their pictures in white chalk on dark blue construction
paper. Next, they highlighted with gold peel and stick foil paper as
their gold leaf. When they were ready to paint, they first colored the
area to be painted with more white chalk and used tempera paint to
cover. The colors seem to intensify, and paintings are striking!

Now, I want to make the connection to Michaelangelo and his fresco
painting . I read somewhere about a lesson where the children painted
on paper secured under their desks -- like Michaelangelo did when
painting his ceiling. Have any of you tried this? Is it something you
think that I can do with 2nd graders? I would like to introduce it on
Wednesday, so any suggestions you can give me this weekend would be
greatly appreciated! Thanks, Everyone!

Sandy

---