RE: a little levity -

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 14:14:13 PST

thanks - my kind of humor -

        since I was whining earlier this week - I'll share this to remind
myself why I teach -

        I was visiting a 2/3 classroom and the teacher was doing a
demo/activity on erosion - they had little land models out and sand, gravel
etc... pouring water and watching. The teacher said "Mrs. Sears, we noticed
that when we poured water on the sand, little bubbles came up. We were
wondering why it would do that. That's a good question for us to think
about - " Then a kid said the air was trapped between the sand, and the
pressure of the water made the air rise to the top and bubbles were formed -
So then the teacher said "well, does that mean that air takes up space?"

        And a little boy answered - "yes - air is everywhere. It takes up
space. Except for in your closet because then you couldn't put anything in
it."

Well it was funny at the time -

Have a great weekend -
Ellen