Re: celadon lesson - Korean Pottery

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 10:34:19 PST

Dear Ellen,

I was unable to find any examples shown from the book online....but I can
tell you what I have done for Korean pottery. I know they also made coil
vessels from thick flattened coils of clay. These coils would be added and
the walls thinned as they go. The potters would even toss the coils over
their shoulders as they worked. The coils were added on the potters wheel. I
had my students roll out a thick slab - cut the slab into strips then add
those as they would add a coil - buy scoring and applying slip. The thick
slab/coils were them smoothed together and walls thinned. This is a fairly
quick way to build a pot - much faster than rolling out individual snake
like coils--my high school and middle school students made rather large
traditonal forms this way -- you could make them smaller for fifth grade
(tip for younger students: start the base in a styrofoam bowl or cool whip
bowl to give extra support). We glazed ours then with turquoise green glaze
that I diluted quite a bit with clear glaze -- this gave a finished result
resembling the Celedon glazes of the oriental pieces. Many of the students
did surface carvings which really showed up nicely with the transparent
color. I wish I had pictures to show you....

Hmmmmm..... I found some nice examples online:
http://www.korean-arts.com/images/CJ008_plain_4x4.jpg
http://www.korean-arts.com/jars/celadon/celadon_jars.htm (lots more!)
http://www.korean-arts.com/bowls_plates/bowls_plates.htm (bowls and plates)
http://www.armkor.com/sp1012.jpg (very small image)
http://www.trocadero.com/anthonys/items/9011/catphoto.jpg (small image)
http://www.indiana.edu/~easc/korean/cd2140/IMG0100.jpg
http://www.indiana.edu/~easc/korean/cd2140/IMG0100.htm (info on image above)
http://www.wlotus.com/RichardKlump/image/rickklump2.jpg (in the style of
Koren - by Rick Klump)
http://www.uwp.edu/academic/mathematics/usaco/2002/ioi/pottery%20villiage.gi
f (Korean Potter)

Check this out! Korean Pottery:
http://www.koreafolkart.com/efrm1.htm Click on Celedon to see some beautiful
forms! One is almost black in color. (click on any one image to see slides
of each - 9 in all).
Lots of samples! http://www.koreafolkart.com/efrm2-3.htm
and lots more! http://www.koreafolkart.com/efrm2-6.htm
(Korena Pottery home page http://www.koreafolkart.com/eindex.asp)
http://www.slu.edu/organizations/ksa/korean_pottery.htm (some history - has
some of the same images as site above
http://www.slu.edu/organizations/ksa/korean~7.htm )

Do I see the makings for a PowerPoint presentation?

Well...Ellen, I am glad you asked your question. I enjoyed my "journey"

Judy Decker