RE: Teacher burnout -my take on it

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 06:05:00 PST

Hi,
I've been following this thread with interest. It seems like everywhere I
hear that a lot of people are feeling flat and burned out. I include myself
in this litany. I've taken a silent vow to graciously say no to extra
stuff; as much as possible. Some years I am very active in committees, art
groups etc. and some years I take a hiatus.

While I haven't been able to work on a body of art work lately, I have found
a new outlet for my creative energies. As a mixed media sculptor, I've
become a member of the California Blacksmith Association. I want to add
heavy-duty metal techniques to my sculpture. As a novice artist blacksmith,
I attend a class on Friday evenings (hard to drag myself there after a week
of school, but..) heat up metal and shape it with a hammer. Very
satisfying!! The fact that this is SO different from what I usually do has
added "euphoria" to my life.

Alix E. Peshette
Technology Coordinator
Emerson Junior High School