RE: Teacher burnout - more last words - and a solution....?

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 05:22:52 PST

> Re Ken: "Next year I have to drop some of these things and
> simplify my life."
>
> I was just going to say that "getting involved" is what helps
> me through the school year, and now your post seems to say
> the opposite. Different strokes...

It's not just a matter of getting involved, or not. It seems to me that
it's a matter of getting involved in issues, work, etc., that matter to
you, as opposed to getting inundated with meaningless hoop jumping and
paper work. I think the latter is what burns most of us out.

On this also is not over-extending one's self.

***Something I'd like your input on:

I've been aware of and thought about the need for retreats to deal with
burn out for some years. And not only among teachers - I think it can
and does hit just about everyone. Some of you may remember my going out
to the west coast last summer to meet with a friend of mine who is
working on setting up a retreat center. I've suggested (strongly) that
burnout is one of the issues we could deal with and market.

1) Would you attend such a retreat? (I assume CEU's would make a
difference and I've talked with him about having his univ. provide
these)

2) What topics and kinds of activities do you think would be most
worthwhile?

I'm sure that I have and will have more questions, but I'm on the run
and dealing with my own forms of burn out. Thanks for the feedback.

Larry

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---