Re: Teacher burnout - more last words

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 05:09:57 PST

Re Ken: "Next year I have to drop some of these things and simplify my life."

I was just going to say that "getting involved" is what helps me through
the school year, and now your post seems to say the opposite. Different
strokes...

I need new challenges to "stay juiced." A couple of years ago it was
National Board Certification, the past year it was applying for a grant and
getting an artist-in-residence, going to the SCAD summer program, or TICA,
the Art Institute's program. Sure, all are extra work, but it is doing this
new stuff -- that keeps my job fresh. I seem to need to have something
"coming up" to avoid getting stale.

If some of you are in a slump, maybe you need to find something with which
to challenge yourself. ...and, of course, maybe some need to simplify.
Whatever it takes to get out of the "same old" rut.

Christa

---