Re: New York art position for 2003-2004

---------

From: Dennis Golombek (dennis_golombek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 13:16:05 PST

Due to the state of New York State econonmics along with my district having zero budget increase the last two years voted on by the community we are facing the loss of 35-40 teachers. Whether they are "laid off," "excessed" or "accessed" they still face unemployment and the students  will face more crowded classrooms, less ability to interact with their teachers, fewer supplies and a poorer education.

I know we're not in  New York City and am grateful for that at this time but seeing talented and vital teachers checking to see how many minutes ahead of someone else they may be on the seniority list does not create the best atmosphere for teaching either. I have an extremely qualified student teacher who finishes her placement with me on Friday. She is looking out west for a position. I can't blame her. What hurts is that she is a former student of mine who should remain in Western New York but the economy here has created a brain drain here that has been going on for years. If I sound bitter about it I am. My daughter  and son-in-law had to leave and most of my friends' children are employed away from here as well. Sorry for the rant.

Dennis

Dennis Golombek
Lowry Middle School
North Tonawanda, NY
http://www.dgolombek.net

>From: PrimaryE@aol.com
>To: "ArtsEdNet Talk"
>Subject: Re: New York art position for 2003-2004
>Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 07:12:47 EST
>
>In a message dated 3/5/03 7:45:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>stardust606@worldnet.att.net writes:
>

> > Okay now this is weird. Excessed in New York City means something a little
> > different. It means that if they have no job for you at your present school
> > you get sent to another school. Of course this only happens if you are
> > tenured. They HAVE TO find you another position.
> > Michele
> >

>Thanks Michele. I don't teach in New York City. My town employs three high
>school, two middle school and one elementary school art teachers. Eileen
>

>---

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* ---