Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Masks/Paper mache heads lesson on IAD

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 07:15:23 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Mark Alexander sent me some images of Mexican "Tona" masks made by his
students. I have that lesson now on Incredible Art Department:

This lesson is very successful with students in grades 6 thru 8 (I imagine
you could also do it with younger students). I have done almost the same
lesson --although Northwest Coast dance helmets -- with sixth graders
(students select a personal Totem to represent self). I have also done a
Tona lesson with sixth graders -- having them create face masks using the
plastic face molds as a base. Online references are included in the lesson.

This lesson is linked from:

Masks and performance art by Mark Alexander can be viewed at:

Judy Decker

P.S. Folks, don't think you have to do your plans this thoroughly to send
them to Incredible Art Department... I do the research to add to the lesson.
I can also spruce your plans up by adding the objectives (if you don't have
the time)....Just send me a little bit about how you did it and I will put
it into the form/template I use. If you have done a lesson that you are
very proud about - send me the iamges and together we can write the plan.

P.P.S for Mark -- You can see that I added my "2 cents worth" as I edited
your plan....hope you don't mind.