RE: Teacher Burn Out - random thoughts

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 05:57:45 PST

The planets must be lined up wrong - it has been a hard year.... (if I
ramble scroll down to the part that starts "I am such a whiner"....)

but I am very lucky that the worst thing the kids say in my room are 'shut
up' and 'stupid' - and those get a lecture from me -
I am lucky that if I really needed something - I could probably get the
money for it - but the things I need the most are time and space - but hey -
I have a room -

I have been at this school for 22 years - our instructional day has
increased slowly but surely over the years - and our number of PD days just
keeps going up and up - we have a longer school day, more school days, more
PD days and more instructional hours required by the state - we will be
getting out June 9 or 10 - and starting August 13 or so...

when we voiced our opinion - like reduce the PD days - cut out a couple of
days - we were told that we would have to have too many 'demotion' meetings
and suffer a reduction in pay. Personally - I don't remember ever getting
promotions or pay raises to cover the time/days I think that was the best
line I have heard from the office - and I have heard a lot over the years -

my solution? Demote - reduce pay - they will have extra money and can now
afford a decent pay increase - but I guess that won't go over -

In today's paper there was an article about a pilot program in the state
for teacher incentives - SpEd teachers in one county will get $2100 more
because it is hard to find teachers for the mobs - a high risk school is
giving teachers $1000 a year each year they stay - bonuses for math and
science -

I cried for a week before school started - and the only thing that kept me
going was thinking maybe we could afford it if I took a couple of weeks off
w/o pay - at our opening meeting it was announced - no more docked days
were allowed - seems the state AG thought it was abandonment of job - and
our district didn't want to take a chance - talk about irony....

I am such a whiner - just wanted to say to those of you that really, really
have impossible situations - thanks for putting it in perspective for me -

and thanks to all Bart Simpson for the prank phone call names that are
helping us make it through car pool duty with the Walky-Talkies...

Amanda...... Amanda Huggandkiss

---