RE: HS Art Teachers- course selections

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 13:55:21 PST

I agree that the standards do make it harder to keep students in the
program. Gone (for now) are the days of making art for the process
rather the product. With the evolution of AP and national standards,
we, at the high school level, certainly have a lot to contend with. I
struggle with the issues everyday of being demanding and making the
students accountable while still maintaining some flexibility to be
"fun".

However, in the long run, I do believe that we are making better
artists. I know that when I graduated HS that I didn't know what the
elements and principles were and I certainly wasn't exposed to any
history or the idea of aesthetics. I took art because I liked it. It
wasn't until I got to college that I realized there was a lot more to
art and that if I wanted to be successful, I had a lot to learn. The
biggest obstacle that I had to face was how to "really try". If, by
setting standards, we are teaching students the foundation of art and
teaching them to "really try" are we doing such a bad thing? Aren't we
just preparing them for life?

I worry about my numbers too and keeping kids motivated enough so that
my program will flourish. Maybe the bottom line is that we have to
focus more on creative programming (art shows, festivals, clubs, honor
societies, websites, etc) within each art program. This gets the
students even more involved and garners parental support as well.

I don't think that we, as art teachers, can just "teach our classes". I
think that in order to survive and be successful, we have to do a whole
lot more.

Do you all agree or disagree?

Becky in NC