Re: Need your input

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 12:59:35 PST

Sid Miller wrote:

> I'm not sure that is the right interpretation...I think that all teachers can
> claim $250 on their taxes for supplies purchased without having to keep records
> or provide documentation. I believe that you can claim more with careful
> records, but it do so might draw attention to your return. We need an
> accountant on list! Sid

I'm definitely NOT an accountant, but I believe Sid's correct: you can
deduct $250 without documentation. Many years ago I was referred to an
outstanding tax preparer who knows a lot about the kinds of deductions
teachers can take. He has trained me to save EVERY receipt, no matter
how small, of anything I buy in the course of duty, even a cup of coffee
at an inservice. Whoa, does it ever add up! I routinely spend, besides
the conference expenses, $400-500 a year or more on supplies. "Keeping
careful records" is a matter of sticking the receipt in an envelope and
totaling it all up prior to my yearly appt. with the tax preparer. I
have enough expenses to itemize, and I've never been audited.

Maggie

---