Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Humor in art/ceramics

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 09:20:50 PST

I really liked using the work of Robert Arneson with my high school
students. My students made some really creative portrait busts. (short bio) (bronze and
woodcut) (students could make a "macquette". I
had eighth graders make Arneson inpired figures and mount on 4"x4" wood
bases) (fun relief)

Here is a lesson plan from Utah Museum of Fine Art (for relief):

George E Orh is another good one ---but the cool site is now off line:

For history:
I have many links on my page on Ceramics - you might find something there:

Getty lesson Heritage of Clay:

Egyptian and Greek:

Also see:
(Pre-Columbian ceramics) (Moche-
Portrait vessels)
(Pre-Columbina effigy vessels)
(SW native American) for humor in art - see the work of Roxanne Swentzell

My students made some really creative effigy vessels/portrait -- many
humorous - inspired by native cultures.

You could also do Face Jugs - American Folk art/ Slave Pottery. (I have
links on file if you are interested)
Lots of images looks like I need to update my ceramics page (I found a couple of
broken links). As I go through it I will send any your way relateing to
humor in art