Re: Humor in art/ceramics

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 09:20:50 PST

I really liked using the work of Robert Arneson with my high school
students. My students made some really creative portrait busts.
http://www.artnet.com/ag/fineartthumbnails.asp?aid=1649
http://www.briangrossfineart.com/artists/rarneson/
http://www.magnoliaeditions.com/Content/Arneson/I00001.html (short bio)
http://hirshhorn.si.edu/education/modern/modern2.html
http://www.decordova.org/decordova/exhibit/arneson/works.html (bronze and
woodcut)
http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/3aa/3aa363.htm (students could make a "macquette". I
had eighth graders make Arneson inpired figures and mount on 4"x4" wood
bases)
http://www.natsoulas.com/html/arneson.html (fun relief)

Here is a lesson plan from Utah Museum of Fine Art (for relief):
http://www.umfa.utah.edu/index.php?id=MTQz

George E Orh is another good one ---but the cool site is now off line:
http://www.georgeohr.org/

For history:
I have many links on my page on Ceramics - you might find something there:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/ceramics.htm

Getty lesson Heritage of Clay:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Sampler/g.html

Egyptian and Greek:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/ancient.htm

Also see:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/precolum.htm
(Pre-Columbian ceramics)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/moche.htm (Moche-
Portrait vessels)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/effigy.htm
(Pre-Columbina effigy vessels)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/diversit.htm#Southwest
(SW native American) for humor in art - see the work of Roxanne Swentzell

My students made some really creative effigy vessels/portrait -- many
humorous - inspired by native cultures.

You could also do Face Jugs - American Folk art/ Slave Pottery. (I have
links on file if you are interested) http://www.rosehipsart.com/potters.html
Lots of images http://makeashorterlink.com/?N18F261B3

Well....it looks like I need to update my ceramics page (I found a couple of
broken links). As I go through it I will send any your way relateing to
humor in art

Judy