Re: HS Art Teachers- course selections

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 06:34:56 PST

In a message dated 3/4/2003 8:41:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pknott@enter.net writes:

> My question is
> Is this me and my district or is this some kind of general trend?
> I've got to say, that since the Standards have been introduced, I have
> fewer
> and fewer kids wanting to pursue the rigor.
> Have we made a mistake? And have we introduced a source of stress (to meet
> standards) that maybe has eliminated the joy of the art making?

I have the same course offerings and I have a different problem. We have so
many course requirements for our sophomores that they can't fit in art 2. A
lot say that they will take it again as a Junior but you can see that my art
4 classes will eventually disappear. The student who do go onto art 2 are
the non college prep students and then their class requirements are less.

We also see a trend to take 3-D design (crafts) and photography to give them
the 10 units of fine art. Luckily last year we still had enough for 5
sections of art 1. Art 2 this year???? I don't know yet. We will be facing
major cuts in funding in California and we could lose a teacher if the
numbers are not there. I am safe, as I am the old fart but our new teachers
are worried.

We work with the standards here and it seems the students think everything is
hard. Attitudes change over time and kids today are somewhat lazier than in
past years but I still have my core of good workers and over achievers to
keep me going. You have brought up a good question however about the
standards making art to rigid and not being fun again.

Ken Schwab
Art teacher, Leigh high school, San Jose, CA
website: Leigh Art

---