Re: Teacher Burn Out

---------

Mbhirst_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 06:14:33 PST

In a message dated 03/04/2003 9:47:55 PM Central Standard Time,
pknott@enter.net writes:

> I find it curious how little attention is given to teacher burnout.....oh,
> it's given lip service but just how many teachers do we loose, just
> because there is too much to do and too little consideration to how much
> we pay attention to every body else's stress but our own?

WOW! Talk about synchronicity!! I am beginning the 2nd day of my new
"uncompensated leave of absence" today. I decided to use some investment
money to take a break from this whole circlesystem of burnout. My district
granted me a leave and here I am! I have been researching stress and teacher
burnout for about 6 months and find that there is very little data on the
topic...but what IS out there says it is a REAL issue. I am planning to work
in my studio, take care of my family (2 teens and a husband), work on MY
health and MAKE ART and recharge so I can go back to my 24 year art teaching
career with enough energy and balance to make it to retirement. (thanks for
letting me affirm my mission here) It was SO hard to leave my art womb(room)
to a sub- but burnout can give you cancer and other ugly things.
Hang in there art teachers everywhere! Do what you need to do- for yourself.

Marcia

---