Re: HS Art Teachers- course selections

---------

From: Judy Grochowski (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 04:25:27 PST

Patty,
    I was up extra early today and saw this post-our program is different,
in that we have 2 main strands in the art department-2D & 3D. Personally &
philosophically, I have an issue with separating the 2, because in my own
experience, it reinforces an elitist attitude about 'serious' art and the
other. And allow me to quickly add, I worked with someone who wanted only to
teach the 2D and treated the other half of the department as if they were
second class citizens. But I digress....my point is that things have never
been off balance numberwise in this regard, and I credit it to that. I also
have felt that if students might be inclined, they could be easily convinced
there was a place for them in either or both strands. So generally, we have
worked from that angle. Our Intro classes are pre reqs for those which
follow.
    We also have photo and computer graphics. Photo does not require a pre
req in art, but I think it too, is a great gateway course for those who are
on the bubble about trying (another) art class.
    However, I too am worried about our numbers, because I fear we are
headed for a big cut this spring-along increased class sizes, regardless of
our sign up. The other frustrating thing with kids in our building is that
some stew over what classes they'll take and put off signing up or take a
study hall with plans to drop it once they see what classes their friends
got (duh) and so affect our true counts and we loose sections across the
board-they just don't get that piece. In a sizable school, a couple dozen
kids doing this can affect your signups.
    As far as our standards, we have been able to somewhat justify that
which we were already doing in the classroom, and tweak a bit here and
there...but yeah, I do think overall, standards are going to have an effect
on these signups....
Just my early morning ramblings....
Jude
> My question is
> Is this me and my district or is this some kind of general trend?
> I've got to say, that since the Standards have been introduced, I have
fewer
> and fewer kids wanting to pursue the rigor.
> Have we made a mistake? And have we introduced a source of stress (to meet
> standards) that maybe has eliminated the joy of the art making?

---