Teacher Burn Out

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 19:34:00 PST

It's after 10:00 P.M. and I'll be up at 4:30 A.M. so that I'm at school by
6:45 A.M. so that I'm ready for my first class at 7:22 A.M.......

but I just had to say something to Michele's comment:
> I am now out to pursue my
> dream of animation because I don't know how much longer I can keep teaching
> before I burn out. This system is draining the very life out of me and I need
> do something soon.

I find it curious how little attention is given to teacher burnout.....oh,
it's given lip service but just how many teachers do we loose, just
because there is too much to do and too little consideration to how much we
pay attention to every body else's stress but our own? I also think it
curious that this Spring my county is offering a credit course in Teacher
Stress Mangement.

It's always something more.....something more required, some more paper to
be generated
Those of you in elementary see 500-600-700 kids a week, those of us in
secondary 150 a day, each of them has baggage and problems and issues that
we tend to

and then we come home to our families......

They tell us to finds time for dreams, but it is so hard to find time for
those dreams, because there is no time to put off the "have-tos. " The time
I'm spending to write this message maybe could be time spent on a lesson
plan, but my "have-to" tonight is to vent a little. So maybe I won't be so
well prepared tomorrow, but I got a little off my heavy chest.

This list is a place to vent. Some will hear and some will ignore.... and
some will put you down and some will uplift. I think the beauty of
electronic messaging is that you send something out to thousands of
strangers and maybe somebody hears you and maybe that somebody gives you a
little lift that helps you through the struggle.

Do it Michele
do what you have to do
'cause we all know burnout and we probably wish we could pursue other
dreams

and I think, if you have lost your dreams you can't be much of a teacher

Good luck

Paty

---