Re: Middle School discipline problems

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 18:29:00 PST

We have a "Recovery Room" in our Middle School where we send students who
are minor disruptions. This is to stop the problems at an early stage
before it
grows into a real discipline problem. Fighting, cussing and violent
behavior would
be referred to the vice principal for discipline and might result in
ISS, Saturday
School or suspension. Before a "Recovery Room" referral a teacher is
suppose to
use "think sheets", "calls home", "detentions", etc. I sent a student to recovery
today for refusing to come across the room to see an example of our
project on
a computer screen. Then I proceeded to continue to teach the kids who cared.
I'm sure other schools have similar programs for minor problems. Of
course the
first solution is to have a worthwhile, exciting program of instruction.
That should
avoid most of the problems. If the kids are interested and actively
engaged in
worthwhile learning fewer problems will arise. Still we never know what baggage
our students bring to class with them. Being sensitive to the clues that trouble
is brewing is a skill that comes with time.
                                                                Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $15