Re: Middle School discipline problems

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 17:46:53 PST

 My discipline plans have students write out the problem they are having, list three things they can do to help correct it, list what I can do to help, and what they feel their consequences will be if they do not uphold their end of the contract. We discuss it, both of us sign it, and send it home for parents to sign. This seems to help students understand that it not "Teachers against Students" and once they realize you are more on their side they are more likely to turn around. Most of the times it works.
Jancy in Ohio
 JudyandharryS@aol.com wrote:Hi Lesley,
Awful classes happen to experienced teachers, too. We call it crop
failure.
If you can pull the troublemakers out individually--maybe during lunch or
planning time, and have a sit down chat, that sometimes helps. Calling
parents in for a conference can be effective. I have a heirarchy of
consequences for violating posted rules.
1. Copy all the rules. circle those youu violated. Sign the paper and
have parent sign it. This is due before you return to class the following
day. If it is not presented, I write a referral and send them to In school
suspension. I then call their parents.

2. complete a problem sheet: Same deal--must be signed by parent and
student
3. Write a problem solving essay. Also must be signed and returned. If
you would like copies of the assignments, I'll be glad to post them.

Good luck--and it is NOT your fault!
Judy S